Getting Started as a Student Veteran at Whatcom
The following recommendations are designed to help students complete the initial steps necessary to receive VA educational benefits and the timely application of those benefits in support of each veterans success at Whatcom. Even if you are a veteran choosing not to utilize your benefits at this time, you have full access to veteran academic advising and the Veterans Office. We invite you to drop in and see how we can help you accomplish your educational goals.
- Step 1: Apply for your VA benefits at www.gibill.va.gov by clicking on the "Apply for Benefits" graphic followed by the "Launch VONAPP" link. To select the GI BILL that maximizes your educational payout, call the VA Education Division directly at 1.888.442.4551.
- Step 2: Apply to Whatcom Community College. All students must apply for admission to the College and should contact Whatcom's Veterans Office as early as possible after applying to ensure all necessary eligibility paperwork is submitted and complete.
- Step 3: Schedule an appointment for your math and English assessment at Whatcom by visiting Entry and Advising in Laidlaw Center, Room 117 or by phone at 360.383.3080. If you have successfully completed college-level math and/or English at a prior institution you may not need to complete math and/or English assessments at Whatcom. If you have questions about the math and English assessments, schedule an appointment with the Veteran Advisor at 360.383.3080.
- Step 4: Meet with Whatcom's Veteran Representative to submit VA eligibility documentation and complete required paperwork to activate VA benefits, as well as, learn about campus services and community resources available to veterans. Please bring a copy of your DD214 - Member 4 and VA Education Certificate of Eligibly (Award Letter). Visit the Veterans Office in Laidlaw Center, Room 117 or call 360.383.3015 to speak with a WCC Veteran Representative or email a WCC Vet Rep. Please complete the following forms and submit them to Whatcom's Veterans Office.
- Step 5: Schedule an appointment with Whatcom's Veteran Academic Advisor 360.383.3080 to create a Program Completion Plan, register for classes, investigate long-term educational planning, and prepare for transition to four-year schools. If you have attended prior colleges, please bring all unofficial transcripts to your appointment.