Communication Club and Sigma Chi Eta
The Communication Club (COM Club or The Club) of Whatcom Community College (Whatcom or WCC) will provide its members the opportunity to strengthen their communication skills and abilities, while simultaneously enhancing the learning and civic environment of both the college and the community at large.
For current meeting room and times contact our advisor, Guy Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To develop leadership qualities in students
- To assume active leadership positions within The Club;
- To participate in fundraising and charitable events and activities;
- To attend and, when possible, present at Communication and/or related conferences;
- To promote social responsibility and community participation
- To build our members’ resumes.
Some Past Events:
Annual Trivia Bee in November
Thank a First Responder Day Nov. 30
Attendance at the Northwest Communication Association Communication Conference in Couer d' Alene, Idaho
Guidelines for Communication Club Membership:
Though The Club is primarily intended for Communication majors and Communication professionals, the truth of the matter is: we all communicate! As such, COM Club membership is open to any Whatcom Community College student—regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or age—willing to cooperatively work toward achieving both its Mission and its Objectives. Any COM Club member, in good standing, who also wishes to join the National Communication Association Student Clubs (a one-time $15 membership fee is required), of which our club is a charter member, may join in her or his second quarter of active COM Club membership.
Guidelines for Membership in WCC's Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Chi Eta
(National Communication Honors Society):
- Be a student, in good standing, of Whatcom Community College;
- Have taken three or more Communication Studies (previously Speech) and/or Journalism classes (at WCC and/or transferred from other colleges);
- Have at least a cumulative 3.00 GPA; and
- Have at least a 3.25 GPA in ALL completed Communication Studies and/or Journalism classes.
Membership in Sigma Chi Eta will include a one-time membership fee of $60 that includes a signed certificate from the NCA National Executive Director, a Sigma Chi Eta lapel pin, and a red and white Communication Honors cord to wear at graduation.
"Speaking from 4 years of COM Club experience, you definitely want to get involved. It'll bring a whole new community to you at WCC and your resume will look fantastic by the time you graduate."- Ashley Nicole Adams
For more information about the COM Club contact:
Guy Smith (Advisor) at email@example.com or in Cascade Hall 146.
Or visit us on Facebook at:
Guy Smith, Laidlaw Center 131