MASC_head.jpgMulticultural                  Academic

Office Hours

Cascade Hall 117

Mon-Thurs 10am-5pm
Fri 9am-12pm

MASC HOME    |    STAFF    |    FACULTY    |    HB 1079    |    DACA    |    SOCC    |     POWER OF ONE


HB 1079

A Guide to Understanding this Law

What is HB 1079?
Governor Gary Locke signed into law by Governor Gary Locke on May 7th, 2003, this bill allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities beginning July 1, 2003.

Do I qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079?
If you have lived in Washington State for the three (3) years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school,


Have completed the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) and lived in Washington State for the three (3) years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma,


Have continuously lived in Washington State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

If you meet the above requirements, then YES! You qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079!!!

I'm eligible! What comes next?

1. You need to fill out the admission application for the college or university that you plan on attending.

2. Next, fill out, and sign the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit. You can find it on this website, and it should also be available to you at any high school, college, or university in the state.

3. And lastly, submit your application with the HB1079 affidavit to your college or university by the admission deadline stated by the institution.

Awesome! I meet all of the requirements for HB 1079. I have turned in my college application and Affidavit! Am I eligible to receive state or federal financial aid?

Unfortunately, no. Although this law does make college more affordable for undocumented students, it does not make these students eligible to receive need-based state or federal financial aid. In addition, the law does not make these students eligible to work legally in the United States.

You may be eligible for scholarships and other opportunities.  Please make an appointment at the Multicultural Academic Support Center to discuss these opportunities.

I'm not sure if I meet the requirements for HB 1079, and I'm a little confused about the whole college application process. Where can I get help with this?

Call the Multicultural Academic Support Center and make an appointment to come in. We can answer your questions, and help you fill out any paperwork you need including your college application, your Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit, and more! We can also help you find financial aid and scholarship opportunities that will help you pay for school.

MASC Affiliated Clubs

Become a member!

Contact Us

Betsy Hasegawa, Ed.D.
Interim Director of Multicultural Academic Support Services
Cascade Hall 117
Phone: 360-383-3098

Whatcom Community College

237 W. Kellogg Road, Bellingham, WA 98226

(360) 383-3000

Contact Us