Basic Math: Math 94 or below
BASIC MATHEMATICS ASSESSMENT
1. Students will be given the Math Placement Survey. On the basis of the answers to the survey, the student will be given the opportunity to take the Basic Math: Math 94 or below Placement Test.
2. A student may retake the Placement Test only once. Please check with Educational Services Advisors regarding when the test may be retaken.
3. Students MAY NOT:
a). Take the placement test after having completed a math class at Whatcom.
b). Take the placement test as an attempt to place in the next course after having failed to achieve a grade of C or better in Math 94 or lower.
c). Use the Placement Test as a Course Challenge.
4. Students will have 60 minutes to complete 40 questions. The test will be available either in a group setting or in the testing center. Please contact Educational Services Advisors regarding either option. Students should contact the testing center regarding dates and times the testing center is open.
5. NO CALCULATOR will be allowed on this exam.
6. Upon completion of the exam, all scratch paper and Scan-tron cards will be collected from the student.
To be successful on the Basic Math Placement Test, the student should be competent in:
Basic Math Operations: adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, raising to a power.
Adding several numbers with different digits.
Working with the order of operations to simplify an arithmetic problem involving whole numbers (without a calculator).
Working with the order of operations to simplify an arithmetic problem involving fractions (without a calculator).
Applying math operation concepts to application problems.
Working with money.
Dividing a five digit number by a two digit number (without a calculator).
Dividing and/or multiplying a two, three, four, five, or six digit number by a power of 10.
Multiplying a four digit number by a two digit number (without a calculator).
Dividing one fraction by another fraction.
Subtracting a mixed number from either a whole number and/or another mixed number.
Multiply a mixed number by either another mixed number or a whole number.
Working with percentages.
Calculating the percentage of a number (without a calculator).
Change a fraction into a percentage (without a calculator).
Change a percentage into a fraction and reduce.
Apply percentages to application problems.
Rewriting a number in "expanded form".
Determining if a number is a prime number or not.
Rounding a number (either to ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, millions, ten millions, or hundred millions).
Estimating the decimal equivalent of a fraction.
List three, four, or five decimal numbers in order from smallest to largest.
Calculating the average of several numbers.
Determining the least common multiple of three, four, or five whole numbers.
Determine if one fraction is greater than (or less than) another fraction.
Determine if one fraction is equal to another fraction.
Working with ratios and proportions.
Recommended text to study for the Basic Math Placement Test:
Jeffrey Slater and John Tobey
Basic College Mathematics, 4th. edition.
Prentice Hall Publishers
Basic Math: Math 94 and below Scores Placement
Below 7 ABE Referral
8-17 ABE 20
18-27 Math 92 ( 1 credit Fractions)
28-40 Math 94
Revised January, 2006