HP Academy can help you combine exclusive discounts with most instant rebates, sale pricing and mail in rebates to save even more. HP Academy also offer you personalized assistance in choosing the perfect PC for your academic and personal needs - including your area of study, lifestyle, and budget.
Student Helpdesk - Heiner 104
The Helpdesk staff is available to provide t
echnical assistance with
- Student network accounts
- Use of online resources
- Student email
- Common software used by students
The Student Helpdesk staff is also available for group workshops or individual assistance with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and can help answer printing, scanning or other computer questions.
Fall, Winter, Spring
8:00am - 5:00pm
Phone: (360) 383-3410
Student Helpdesk is located in Heiner Center, lower level, Room 104
Student Computer Lab - Heiner Center, Room 104/105
There are 78 computers in the Student Computer Lab available for student use. The lab provides WCC students with access to their student network accounts, black/white and color printers, a copier, fax machine and scanners. Laptops, video and digital cameras are also available in the lab for students to check out.
Hours for Fall, Winter, and Spring
M-Th - 7:30a-9:00p
F - 7:30a-5:00p
S - noon-5:00p
Hours for Summer quarter
M-Th - 8:00a-6:00p
F - 8:00a-noon
WCC's library provides Internet Explorer, access to research software, web-based email, and printing. The WCC Library is located on the main floor of the Heiner Center. Please visit the Library's web page for a full description of services offered and hours of operation.
While WCC encourages its students to utilize our computing resources in the pursuit of their education, we expect students to respect and comply with the rules assigned to that te
Lab assistants are employed by Whatcom Community College to provide general support to users in the student labs. Their role is to assist with computer access, assist activating student network accounts, troubleshoot printer problems, equipment checkout and other lab related issues. Lab assistants should not be confused with tutors. Any student needing extra help should seek it through their instructor or from the Tutoring Center.
While lab assistants will troubleshoot problems with the WCC checkout laptops, they do not provide technical support for personal computers.
Student Network Accounts
All computer access requires students to use a personalized network account. This is required for computer access in all labs, classrooms, etc. Please visit the MyWCC webpage for information about setting up your personalized network account.
With the network accounts, students will have:
- Personalized username and password
- "My Documents" network storage 5 GB and Web Storage 25GB
- Orca Card Web access
- Wireless access
- Whatcom email address
- Web-based Microsoft Office
- Remote access to WCC computer resources through VMware View Client
Web-based Microsoft Office
Every registered student has access to web-based Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010, OneNote and Internet Explorer. This is delivered from inside a webpage, and does not require you to purchase, or install anything. Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is the recommended software to use for compatibility with your instructors and is the business standard. We are pleased to be able to supply you with access to this software free of charge.
For environmental and budgetary reasons, WCC has implemented a "Pay for Printing" system called Pharos. With your logon, all you do is print as you normally do, and a popup will appear. This popup will list what you are printing, whether it is black & white or color, the number of pages, the cost of the print job, and what your available balance is to pay for the job. To print you must select the button at the bottom labeled "Yes"; this will release the job and it will print and remove the charge from your Orca Card account. If you select "No", or wait more than 30 seconds to choose; the print job will be cancelled and will not print or charge your account.
Every registered student is given a credit of $15.00 at the beginning of the quarter. This will allow you to print or copy 150 black & white pages for free each quarter at the student copiers in the Library and the Student Computer Lab, or print from any student printer on campus. If you need to print or copy more than 150 B&W pages, you will have to load money onto your Orca Card online or at one of the POD (Point of Deposit) stations on campus (Syre or Heiner).
- B&W copies or printouts single sided cost $0.10 each
- B&W copies or printouts double sided cost $0.20 each
- Color copies or printouts single sided cost $0.25 each
- Color copies or printouts double sided cost $0.50 each
The College's official communication method with enrolled students is email. It is critical that each student verify that the email address currently on record with Whatcom Community College is accurate, as all information contained in messages sent by the College are the responsibility of the intended recipient. Students can verify their email address through OASIS.
A Whatcom email address is available to all WCC students with a network account.
Access your student email account from anywhere by visiting http://www.outlook.com and typing your @student.whatcom.edu email address and network account password.
Access to the WCC wireless network is included with your personal network username and password. If you are currently enrolled in at least a one-credit course, you will have access to Wi-Fi.
The WCC WI-FI is a secured network requiring a security password in additon to your personal network user name and password. The security password can be found on your network account profile page. (From the MyWCC webpage, click on Login)
Although WCC provides wireless access for our College community there is no formal support for personal electronic divices.
Student Computer Use Rules
Whatcom Community College has a managed technology environment. Computers are intended to support educational goals and may not be used for personal gain or illegal activities.
- Providing a valid, current WCC identification card is required to use most computer resources. Only students currently enrolled in credit courses may use these computers. Students and faculty from other educational institutions and community members are welcome to use library computers; however, WCC students, faculty and staff have priority use.
- Students may not use staff computers.
- Food and drink are not allowed at computer workstations.
- Do not mistreat or damage the computer equipment.
- Hardware or software configurations may not be altered. Many people share these computer resources and a consistent environment is essential. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Do not download or install any software, "plug-ins," shareware, freeware. This includes games, e-mail software, and unauthorized tutorial CDs that may be included with your textbooks.
- Do not install any peripheral devices including, but not limited to zip drives, floppy drives, CD ROMs, modems, network cards, mice, scanners, etc.
- No computers or other devices may be connected to the College network or telephone system.
- The only resources available to students from off-campus will be provided through WCC web pages.
- Attempts to remotely access, hack, bypass, alter, or circumvent any network or computer security on any system is illegal.
- Individuals must not interfere with the personal rights of others or the educational process of the college as defined by the WCC Student Rights and Responsibilities outlined in the WCC catalog.
- If you are not sure about what you're doing or do not understand these rules - PLEASE ASK!
Unauthorized use of WCC's technology resources is a serious offense and may result in disciplinary or legal action that could include expulsion from school, civil prosecution by the college or criminal prosecution.
Individual labs and departments may have procedures or guidelines. These procedures and guidelines are IN ADDITION to the rules listed here.
- Always have your Student ID card with you
- Use a Flash Drive as a temporary, portable backup for your files
- Eject your Flash Drive properly by using the eject feature in the System Tray
- Remember that the Office Productivity Suite is supplied to you for free
- Files and software are available anywhere through our Virtual Network
- Name new files immediately to start the Save process and protect your work
- Never save documents to the desktop