Information for Homestay Hosts
Whatcom Community College's Homestay Program offers the opportunity for a unique cultural experience by placing students with local families in Bellingham and surrounding areas. Living with a host family allows students a chance to learn about American culture by participating in the homestay's daily activities.
Homestay Host Requirements
Welcoming an international student into your home, accepting cultural differences and incorporating the student into family life are the most important qualifications for becoming a host.
Other requirements include:
- A safe, clean and welcoming living environment
- A private bedroom with access to a quiet study space, kitchen and laundry facilities
- Regular interaction with students that provide opportunities to practice English
- Daily meals (food available for the student to make a breakfast and lunch, with an evening meal provided by the host).
- Live on or near a WTA bus stop, as all international students need to travel to the college on their own. Occasionally, students may need help with transportation for school related activities.
Duration of Homestay
The length of homestay placement varies depending on the student's intended length of study. Students can begin their studies at Whatcom year-round, though most students arrive in September. Most homestay placements typically last from three to nine months. Occasionally, some students request a short-term homestays lasting less than three months.
Homestay Hosts Can Include:
- Married and unmarried couples, with or without children
- Single hosts, with or without children
- Homes with extended family members
- Native and non-native English speaking families
- Homes with and without pets
International Students at Whatcom:
Whatcom Community College annually enrolls approximately 250 international students from 30 countries. including: Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Egypt, France, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam.
For more information about becoming a homestay host:
Laura Boynton, International Housing Coordinator
Phone: (360) 383-3249 | Fax: (360) 383-3241
International Programs Office
Syre Student Center 201