Whatcom Community College's Homestay Program offers the opportunity for a unique cultural experience by placing students with local families in Bellingham and surrounding areas. Living with a host family allows students a chance to learn about American culture by participating in the homestay's daily activities.
Homestay hosts come from various ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic levels, religions and lifestyles. Students who wish to be a part of the Homestay Program must be open minded to experiencing the cultural diversity of the U.S. and our local area. For details on Homestay expectations click here.
If you are under 18 years old please complete this form.
Homestay Hosts Can Include:
- Married and unmarried couples, with or without children
- Single hosts, with or without children
- Homes with extended family members
- Native and non-native English speaking families
- Homes with and without pets
Students are matched with homestay hosts based on information provided in the student's homestay application and letter to the homestay host.
- It is important for students to include as much information as possible in the homestay application so that a "best-fit" placement can be made.
- Homestay placements will not be made until all forms have been received.
- Homestay placements are sent out 10 days before the suggested student arrival date.
The monthly homestay fee is $575/month for students aged 18 and over, $625/month for students under 18, and is paid directly to the homestay host. All homestays include:
- A safe, clean and welcoming living environment.
- A private bedroom with access to a quiet study space, kitchen and laundry facilities.
- Regular interaction with homestay hosts that provide opportunities to practice English
- Daily meals (food available for the student to make a breakfast and lunch, with an evening meal provided by the host).
- Live on or near a WTA bus stop, as all international students need to travel to the college on their own. Occasionally, students may need help with transportation for school related activities.
Off Campus Housing
Although most students choose to stay in a homestay when they first arrive at WCC, there are many apartments located within walking distance from the college. Because renting an apartment can be a difficult process, The International Student Housing Coordinator can provide advice on how to find and rent an apartment. The average rental costs for apartments near WCC can range in price from $500 per month for a studio apartment, to $980 for a three-bedroom apartment. Generally, apartments are not furnished and students are required to buy all household necessities (bed, kitchen/cooking items, table and chairs, etc.).
Dormitories at Western Washington University:
WCC students are able to live in the dormitories at Western Washington University on a “space available” basis. Generally, space is available during the winter, spring, and summer quarters. For specific information about costs and applying to live in WWU housing, please contact the International Student Housing Coordinator.
Lynnette Berry, International Student Housing Coordinator
Phone: (360) 383-3242 | Fax: (360) 383-3241
International Programs Office
Syre Student Center 201
Whatcom Community College leased apartments offer and provide the opportunity to live with other Whatcom Community College students in an independent setting just across the street from campus. The apartments are in close proximity to public transportation, restaurants and shopping. Each apartment consists of shared living area, kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, bathrooms, and private deck with extra storage. Apartments are furnished with all major appliances, including a stove/oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and disposal. In addition, full laundry facilities are included in each unit.
Common area furniture includes a sofa, chair, kitchen table and four chairs, and a multi-use bookcase. Bedroom furniture includes a bed frame with mattress, a desk with cabinet and chair, dresser, and a closet.
Monthly cost, including basic utilities:
Private Bedroom with Private Bathroom $525
Private Bedroom, bath shared with one other person $475
For a downloadable application click here
For more information contact:
Brenna Uzcategui, Residence Life Coordinator
International Programs Office