Work Study Employment
Work Study programs provide jobs for students to assist them in meeting their educational expenses through the financial aid process. Efforts are made to provide employment related to career interests. Placement can be made in either an on-campus position or an off campus position (with non-profit or for-profit employers). Students who decide that they would like to participate in the work-study program should stop by the Financial Aid Office to see if they are eligible for work study funding. A work study award is only an estimate of what you might earn if you are hired, work, and submit monthly time sheets. A work-study award cannot pay tuition and fees. To qualify, you must be enrolled for at least half-time (6 credits) and be a financial aid recipient.
On-Campus Work Study Procedures: On-campus work study position openings are posted on the display located in the Financial Aid Office, as well as online. The majority of on-campus positions are clerical, often requiring computer and interpersonal skills. In addition, there are some library, custodial, maintenance, and other positions available. Most positions range from 6-12 hours per week.
- Determine if you meet the qualifications as listed on the job opening position announcement.
- Request a "On-campus Work Study Application" form from the Financial Aid Office.
- Schedule an interview with the supervisor as listed on the job opening position announcement. Phone number and supervisor's location is listed on the announcement.
- Supervisors will notify you if you are selected for the position.
- If hired, complete required payroll forms at the Human Relations office.
- Students are paid monthly at the current hourly pay rate of $10.83. Paychecks are mailed directly to students.
Off-campus Work Study Procedures: All off-campus placements are made through the Whatcom Community College Cooperative Education office. Off-campus positions are available in a wide range of occupations in Whatcom County. Most positions are between 12-15 hours per week.
You must follow these steps carefully and in the exact order listed to activate your award and be placed in an off-campus position.
- Obtain an "Off-campus Referral" form from the Financial Aid Office.
- Meet with the Off-campus Work Study Coordinator: Schedule an appointment with the Off-Campus Work Study Coordinator by calling (360) 383-3080. Placement is first-come, first served. Appointments start mid-August for fall quarter placement. Job placements will begin in mid-September.
- Resume is required: You must bring your current resume with you, along with your "Off-campus Referral" form, to your meeting with the Off-campus Work Study Coordinator. Failure to take these two items to your appointment will result in cancellation of your appointment and rescheduling for a later time.
- Note: If you need assistance developing a resume, schedule an appointment in WCC's Career Center.
Returning Off-campus Work Study Students: Do not assume that you may begin employment at your former position. You must meet with the Off-Campus Work Study Coordinator to confirm your continued eligibility for an Off-campus Work Study position before you can begin working.