Whatcom Community College's college catalog should be used for educational planning purposes only. Explore Class Schedule Search to view our most current course offerings. Click here to view WCC's online catalogs, including course descriptions. Please note: College catalogs can be up to 200 pages long. Unless you specify the exact pages you wish to print, the entire catalog will be printed. If you have problems viewing the 2014-16 catalog, click here.
2012-14 catalog addendum
The following revisions have been made to the 2012-14 catalog:
Associate in Arts & Sciences Degree (Direct Transfer-DTA) has changed the requirement for the QS/R category. Effective winter 2014, all new students are required to complete an approved math or philosophy course for graduation. Students starting prior to winter 2014 will have until winter 2016 to complete the degree under the previous requirements as of 12/06/13. Winter 2014 Degree Template.
2010-12 catalog addendum
The following revisions have been made to the 2010-12 catalog:
- Degrees and programs: Health Unit Coordinator Certificate is inactive as of fall 2010 (page 78) as of 8/10/10.
- Notice of non-discrimination: Notice of non-discrimination was updated to include "genetic information" (page 5) as of 8/10/10.
- Tuition and fees: Language was added regarding collection fees for student nonpayment. "Pursuant to state law (RCW 28B.10.293 and RCW 19.16.500) any debts to the college will be increased by costs and expenses incurred in the collection of such debts." (page 10) as of 8/10/10.
- 2010-11 academic calendar: 2011 summer quarter start date is July 5, 2011 and end date is August 26, 2011 (page 8) as of 1/18/2011.
2008-10 catalog addendum
2005-07 catalog addendum
Due to a state-wide common course numbering initiative that has not yet been finalized, Whatcom Community College extended its 2005-07 catalog for the 2007-08 academic year with the following additions/revisions (as of 6/2008):
- Board of Trustees: Robert B.T. Fong (chair), Barbara Rofkar (vice-chair), Steve Adelstein, Sue Cole and Chuck Robinson (page 3).
- Notice of non-discrimination (page 4) as of 10/07.
- Waiver of nonresident differential (page 10) as of fall 2005.
- Revised annual notification of student rights under FERPA (page 16).
Business & Office Administration (pages 50-53):
- Revised Business Administration degree as of fall 2006.
- Added Hospitality & Tourism Business Management certificate as of fall 2006.
- Added Retail Management certificate as of winter 2007.
- Added Office Professional Tech Support Specialist certificate as of spring 2008.
Computer Information Systems (pages 55-56):
- Revised Computer Information Systems degree as of fall 2006.
- Revised Technical Support certificate as of fall 2007.
Graphic Design/Visual Communications (pages 61-62):
- Added Visual Communications degree as of fall 2006.
- Deleted: Graphic Design degree as of fall 2006.
High School Diploma (page 47)
- Revised Diploma Requirements as of fall 2008.
Medical Assisting (pages 66-67)
- Corrected Additional requirements during/after the course of study as of fall 2005.
- Revised Medical Assisting degree as of fall 208.
- Revised Medical Assisting certificate as of fall 2008.
- Revised Medical Billing & Coding certificate as of fall 2008.
- Revised Medical Front Office Reception certificate as of fall 2008.
- Deleted: Medical Practice Manager certificate, Medical Billing Specialist endorsement, and Medical Receptionist certificate as of fall 2006.
2003-05 catalog addendum
The following revisions have been made to the 2003-05 catalog:
Associate in Arts and Sciences Degree (transfer-DTA) as of fall 2003:
- Add bullet under Distribution Requirements/Humanities (page 40) "For this requirement, all foreign languages are considered to be one discipline."
- Add text under Communication Skills - Courses Designated "CC" or "OC" (page 42) "Note: Courses that are used to satisfy the Communication Skills core requirement cannot be used in any other categories (distribution, l, w, d, or g)."
- For details, view the Associate in Arts and Sciences Degree [PDF]
Degree/Certificate as of fall 2004, unless otherwise noted:
- Associate in Science Transfer (pages 46-47).
- Associate in Science - Computer Information Systems (pages 53-54).
- Deleted: Associate in Science - Computer Programming & Software Development (pages 54-55).
- Associate in Arts - Graphic Design (page 59) minor revision.
- Deleted: Certificate - Massage Practitioner (pages 60-61).
- Associate in Science - Massage Practitioner (page 62).
- Certificate - Medical Receptionist (No longer available after spring 2005).
- Certificate - Medical Billing Specialist (No longer available after spring 2005).
- Certificate - Medical Practice Manager
- Certificate - Office Administration (pages 67-68) minor revision.
- Associate in Science - Physical Therapist Assistant (pages 71-72).
2001-03 Catalog Addendum
The following revisions were made to the 2001-03 catalog:
Program Changes as of fall 2002:
- AS Degree - Computer Programming & Software Development
- AS Degree - Medical Assisting
- AS Degree - Physical Therapist Assistant
- Certificate - Education Paraprofessional
- Certificate - Massage Therapy
- Certificate - Medical Assisting
- Communication Skills (page 46): Courses designated "OC" or "CC" replace section with: ENGL 101; ENGL 102, 103, 201, 202, 295; SPCH 100, 105, 110, 112, 120, 295
- Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning Skills (page 46): Courses designated "Q" or "SR" remove "wdg" designation from IDS 112; remove "w" and "l" designations from all PHYS courses.
- Math/Science (page 47): Courses designated as "MS" remove * (physical/biological science designation) from all CS and MATH courses.
- Accounting Degree (page 52): Cooperative Work Experience/Business Field Electives replace "Business Computing" with "Business Information Systems"; add "Computer Information Systems" as a discipline for business field electives.
- Business Information Systems Degree (page 55): BIS 122 is 5 credits; replace CS 109 with CS 140.
- Computer Information Systems Degree (page 56): Page reference on last line is page 46.
- Early Childhood Education Degree (page 59): Page references is Humanities, page 46 and Science Lab, page 47.
- Medical Assisting Degree (page 67): Total for section is 32 credits (28 general education credits and 4 elective credits).
- Office Administration (page 69): Add COOP 190 (Cooperative Work Experience) as an alternative to COOP 180.
- The most current course descriptions can be found on the college's web site at the Online Class Schedule (pages 75 - 156).
- Faculty and Administration (page 171) Add Heidi Ypma, Math; B.A. Western Washington University; M.A. Western Washington University.
- Index (page 173): High School Completion Program is on page 13.
Common course numbering
Common Course Numbering (CCN) is a state-wide project among the community and technical colleges to share identical Course ID's (disciplines and numbers) and titles for selected courses. The intent of this project is to facilitate student transfer between community & technical colleges in Washington State. (Note: the state's public and private 4-year colleges & universities are not part of the CCN project.)
Effective fall quarter 2008, Whatcom Community College joined other community & technical colleges in this effort by renumbering and/or renaming approximately 200 existing courses. Here is one example of how a course changed:
- CHEM 115 (Basic Chemistry Concepts) changed to CHEM& 121 (Intro to Chemistry)
The ampersand symbol (&) in the Course ID is the CCN designator that identifies this is a common course among the community & technical colleges. This same Course ID will be used at all community & technical colleges that have the equivalent chemistry course. In addition, other Whatcom courses, while not identified as common, were renumbered and/or renamed as part of this project.
To view a list of course changes, click the following links: