Welcome to Whatcom News, including updates on campus construction projects! If you have WCC news you would like to share, please contact us. For the latest on Whatcom Community College, click the categories below for an expanded menu.
WCC in the News
- WCC women's soccer on verge of breakthrough, 8/23/14, Bellingham Herald
- WCC Welcomes Mary Schroeder as Women’s Soccer Coach, KGMI.com, 8/14/14
- Whatcom CC hires women's soccer coach, Bellingham Herald, 8/13/14
- WCC recognized for technology use, BBJ Today, 8/13/14
Click for more News
Recent Press Releases
Click for more Press Releases
Campus Improvement & Expansion Projects
WCC has launched campus improvement projects to support the College’s Institutional Master Plan. We’ll share updates here and on social media. Scroll down to find project overviews. If you need more information regarding WCC construction projects, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Institutional Master Plan (IMP)
In spring 2014, WCC completed a pre-application meeting with the City of Bellingham Planning Department during which the College reviewed the draft IMP and associated stormwater and traffic study information. The College has several required steps to complete before the IMP is presented to the Bellingham City Council for approval in winter 2014/2015.
- New Location for WLC/WCC Library Book Drop Box, 6/23/14
- Major Capital Projects Overview, 7/24/14
- Notice of Public Meeting, 6/10/14
- WCC Development Area, 5/29/14
Pavilion & Student Recreation Center Renovation
The project will include more than 24,000 square feet of new construction and 6,700 square feet of renovated space. In addition, there will be significant site improvements on the east (between Laidlaw Center and the Pavilion) and south sides of the building, which will create a stronger pedestrian connection to the project from the Syre Student Center and the south parking area. Construction began June 23 and will end approximately August 2015. Project details available below.
- View today's construction progress on the web cam here
- Pavilion & Student Recreation Center Overview, 6/23/14
- WCC Hosts Groundbreaking Ceremony, 6/18/14
- Student Recreation Center Rendering - Exterior Plaza, 6/17/14
- Student Recreation Center Rendering - Track to Entry at Cardio, 6/17/14
- Student Recreation Center Rendering - Birds Eye, 6/6/14
Baker Hall, CIS Program Expansion
The expansion of labs and classrooms for Whatcom's nationally acclaimed Computer Information Systems program will include renovation and remodel of approximately 6,000 square feet of the south wing of Baker Hall. The improvements will more than double the size of classrooms and labs for the program. The most significant improvements in the approximately $539,000 project are three enlarged labs, two lecture spaces, a new networking/server room, and a new instructional support/testing area. The new lab layouts will allow for increased and improved interaction among instructors and students. The expanded lab space will be equipped with additional computers, a Cisco router package and network infrastructure equipment. The space improvements further confirm WCC's status as a national leader in cybersecurity education. General contrator is Colacurcio Brothers Construction Co. of Blaine. Construction began June 23 and is on target to end in time for the start of fall quarter 2014.
The Phyllis and Charles Self Learning Commons project is in the schematic design phase. When it opens in 2017, the Learning Commons will house academic support services and resources such as the Library, math and writing centers, media and tutoring services, and quiet and shared study spaces. Construction is scheduled to begin July 2015.