At Whatcom Community College, all employees play a vital role in student learning and development while being learners themselves.
The WCC Professional Development program builds upon these strengths in a comprehensive, effective and efficient manner. Our goal is to assist all employees in their individual development -- both professionally and personally.
Professional Development Committee Charge
Whatcom Community College's Professional Development Committee's primary charge is to implement an outstanding program of professional development opportunities for all employees of the College as identified in the College's Strategic Plan, Objective 2.5: Introduce professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
The Committee is comprised of faculty, classified, and exempt staff. The committee has two subcommittees:
- The Sabbatical subcommittee - comprised of faculty members.
- The Professional Development Activities subcommittee - includes personnel from various areas on campus who can provide additional expertise such as Community Education, eLearning and Information Technology.
The Committee is responsible for:
Planning and Implementing
- Develop and maintain a website for professional development information and opportunities.
- Plan and implement the annual employee Professional Development Day program.
- Provide assistance to the President's Cabinet in planning and implementing the All College Day program for opening week.
- Plan and implement in-service professional development workshops and training opportunities for all employees.
- Coordinate publicity for all area's staff/professional development activities for all employees.
- Coordinate efforts to avoid unnecessary duplication of programs, sharing and extending College resources, and maximizing accessibility to employees.
- Research and provide links for professional development opportunities on and off campus.
- Review/Recommend Professional Development Requests.
- Assess program results.
- Address concerns, issues and suggestions related to professional development.
- Solicit and evaluate feedback from each in-service professional development activity.
- Provide an annual report of professional development activities and effectiveness of the College's professional development program.
- Represent WCC on appropriate external groups such as the North American Council on Staff, Program and Organizational Development (NCSPOD) and Staff Training for Technical and Community Colleges (STTACC).
"To revitalize, inspire, and enhance professional and personal growth through a collaborative exchange of practices, concepts, and programs that promote skills, critical thinking, and lifelong learning within and across the college community."
The Whatcom Community College Professional Development Committee serves as a focal point for professional development to the entire College community by:
- Building on the existing wealth of knowledge at WCC for workshops and training.
- Continuing existing, successful development programs.
- Cultivating an institutional culture that encourages, values, and rewards ongoing professional development.
- Promoting an appreciation of lifelong learning, personal development, and educational and professional advancement for all employees.
- Embracing the diversity of our world by forging a supportive learning and working environment.