Adjunct Faculty, Classified and Exempt Professional Staff Funds
Whatcom Community College is pleased that you are considering applying for professional development funds. Our Professional Development Program is designed to contribute to the professional growth and development of Whatcom's faculty, classified and exempt/professional staff by providing educational opportunities through coursework, seminars, workshops, group activities and attendance at conferences.
College funds have been allocated for these purposes. The Professional Development Committee, comprised of representatives from all employment categories, is charged with reviewing individual requests for funds and recommending approval to the President for financial support as appropriate for professional development activities on and off site.
General Guidelines/Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible? Adjunct Faculty, Classified and Exempt staff. Full-time faculty should review the link to Formway Funds for their professional development funding.
- How often may I apply and will my application be considered if I received funding previously? You may apply as often as you wish; however, the Committee will factor in an applicant's awards from the current academic year in the award consideration process. The Committee wants to ensure that every eligible employee has an opportunity to benefit from these funds.
- What can these PDC funds cover? Funds can be used to help defray costs for many professional development activities including: tuition, workshop and conference registration fees, travel expenses (see travel section below), professional organizational membership fees /dues (available to cover membership dues that include substantial training during the period of membership). Books and materials may also be funded when they are essential to a particular workshop or meeting (explanation to be noted on application).
- How much funding can I request? Although there is no maximum amount, the Committee wants to ensure that every eligible employee has an opportunity to benefit from these funds. Therefore, requests exceeding $500 will require a strong rationale statement.
- When should I apply? Apply early! For best consideration, applications should be submitted two (2) months prior to the activity. Please note that the Committee requires at least two (2) weeks of processing time prior to an award notification. Late applications received prior to the activity may be considered; however, applications received after an event will not. Please make a copy of your application to keep for your records. Generally, no more than four employees will be funded to attend/participate in the same activity.
- Where do I submit my application? You may either submit your application through the campus mail to the attention of the Professional Development Committee, or email your application to PDC@whatcom.ctc.edu .
- When will I know if my application has been approved? The Committee requires at least two (2) weeks of processing time prior to an award notification. The Committee's recommendation will be forwarded to the President. Final approval notification will come from the Office of the President in approximately two weeks after submission of your application.
- How do I make travel arrangements? PDC awards adhere to state-mandated restrictions for travel expenses. Due to the complexity of the rules and variable budgetary constraints, you may wish to consult with a division coordinator or your supervisor to confirm current limitations. Please note that Bellingham Travel is the state-delegated travel agency for booking any college-approved air travel. Travel forms are required to be submitted and approved prior to travel including the Travel Authorization Form for any out-of-state or overnight stays, and a Purchase Request Form or Travel Expense Form for payment. These forms are available at links below or from the Business Office. Other important travel information can be found at the links below.
- Downloadable fill-in Application Form for Professional Development Funds
- Downloadable fill-in Travel Authorization Form
- Downloadable fill-in Purchase Request Form
- Downloadable fill-in Travel Expense Form
Links to Travel Information: